For the first time, we are seeking photo submissions for the cover of Briefly Zine (Issues 5-8). See the guidelines here.
Briefly Zine is a literary journal seeking bold, succinct writing. We publish writers from the UK and around the world.
We read submissions all year round and publish quarterly. Upcoming issues will be released in June, September and December 2021.
We’re looking for:
- POEMS – 16 lines or less
- STORIES – 6 to 600 words
Writing that blurs genres (prose poems, poetic prose, etc.) is welcome.
- Submit up to three pieces of your best brief writing
- Paste your work into the body of an email and send it to email@example.com
- Include a short third-person bio (under 50 words). Please don’t feel under any pressure with this – we select submissions for their literary merit, not the publication history of the author!
- Please only submit previously unpublished work, i.e. nothing that has appeared in print or online (including on a personal website or social media)
- Simultaneous submissions are okay, but do make sure you let us know if your work is accepted elsewhere
- Please wait for our reply before sending us more work. If we publish your writing, please wait at least one issue before submitting again!
- We will not publish writing that is sexist, racist, classist, homophobic, transphobic or ableist
- We are unlikely to be interested in gratuitous sex or violence
Our response time can be anywhere between two days and two months. If you haven’t heard back after six weeks, feel free to send us a gentle nudge to check we received your submission.
There is no submission fee. There will never be a submission fee. Stories belong to everyone and financial barriers should not stop people sharing theirs.
That said, there are costs involved in running a literary journal. If you would like to support our work – and are able to do so – please consider a £2 donation.
For now, we are not able to pay our contributors. As soon as we are in a position to do so, paying writers will be our first priority.
By submitting to Briefly Zine, you are granting us first electronic rights. Copyright reverts to the author upon publication.
NEW: Photography Submissions
For the first time, we are seeking photography submissions for the cover of Briefly Zine (Issues 5-8).
Please send up to 3 images (attached as JPEG files) in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
All work must be your own. We are looking for original and unpublished photographs only.
We want creative, thoughtful and thought-provoking images. Photos of people or pets are unlikely to be accepted. Any images that discriminate against a particular group will not be considered.
In the body of your email, please include a short third-person bio. You can also add links to your website/social media, which we would be happy to promote.
We respond to photography submissions within one month, probably sooner. If you haven’t heard back after this time, please contact us to check your email hasn’t gone astray.
Unfortunately, we cannot pay contributors at this time. We will, however, promote you and your work through social media.
You retain the rights to your image(s).