Briefly Zine is a literary journal seeking bold, succinct writing and photography. We publish writers and photographers from the UK and around the world.
We are currently closed for submissions. We will re-open in July 2022 seeking submissions for Issue 9, with a theme to be announced.
We’re looking for:
- PHOTOGRAPHY (see the art guidelines here)
- POEMS – 16 lines or less
- STORIES – 6 to 600 words
Writing that blurs genres (prose poems, poetic prose, etc.) is welcome.
- Submit up to three pieces of your best brief writing
- Paste your work into the body of an email and send it to email@example.com
- Include a short third-person bio (under 50 words). Please don’t feel under any pressure with this – we select submissions for their literary merit, not the publication history of the author
- Please only submit previously unpublished work, i.e. nothing that has appeared in print or online (including on a personal website or social media)
- Simultaneous submissions are okay, but do make sure to let us know if your work is accepted elsewhere
- Please wait for our reply before sending more work. If we publish your writing, please wait at least one issue before submitting again
- We will not publish writing or photos that are sexist, racist, classist, homophobic, transphobic or ableist
- We are unlikely to be interested in gratuitous sex or violence
Our response time can be anywhere up to three months. If you haven’t heard back after ten weeks, feel free to send us a gentle nudge to check we received your submission.
There is no submission fee. There will never be a submission fee. Art belongs to everyone and financial barriers should not stop people sharing their work.
That said, there are costs involved in running a literary journal. If you would like to support Briefly, please consider a small donation. We offer an expedited response with brief feedback for only £8.
By submitting to Briefly Zine, you are granting us first electronic rights. Copyright reverts to the author upon publication.
For the price of two coffees, we will reply within three days and provide brief comments on your poems or stories. See more here.
We are now seeking photography submissions for Issue 8.
Please send up to 3 images (attached as JPEG files) in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
All work must be your own. We are looking for original and unpublished photographs only.
We want creative, thoughtful and thought-provoking images. Photos of people or pets are unlikely to be accepted. Any images that discriminate against a particular group will not be considered.
In the body of your email, please include a short third-person bio. You can also add links to your website/social media, which we would be happy to promote.
We respond to photography submissions within two months, probably sooner. If you haven’t heard back after this time, please contact us to check your email hasn’t gone astray.
Unfortunately, we cannot pay contributors at this time. We will, however, promote you and your work through social media.
You retain the rights to your image(s).