Submissions on the theme of EMPTY SPACES are now CLOSED. We will re-open general submissions in January 2023.
Briefly Zine is a literary journal seeking bold, succinct writing and photography. We publish writers and photographers from the UK and around the world.
Send up to THREE…
- POEMS – 16 lines or less
- STORIES – 6 to 600 words
Work that sits between genres (prose poems, poetic prose, etc.) is welcome. You can also mix and match (i.e. submit one photo, one poem and one story).
By submitting to Briefly Zine, you are granting us first electronic rights. Copyright reverts to the author upon publication.
EMPTY / SPACES
The theme for Issue 9 is EMPTY SPACES.
We encourage you to interpret the theme loosely. Empty spaces can (dis)appear in form or content. You could write an ode to a void in your life or a story with an unreliable narrator. Craft a poem that demands slow re-reading or a photo that is deceptively blank.
Whatever you choose, BE BRIEF. Make. Every. Word. Count. MakeEverySpaceCount.
- Submit up to three pieces of your best brief writing or photography
- Paste writing into the body of an email and send to email@example.com
- Attach photos as JPEG files and send to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include a short third-person bio (under 50 words). Please don’t feel under any pressure with this – we choose our favourite work, not the writers with the most publications or qualifications
- Please only submit previously unpublished work, i.e. nothing that has appeared in print or online (including on a personal website or social media)
- Simultaneous submissions are okay, but do make sure to let us know IMMEDIATELY if your work is accepted elsewhere
- Please wait for our reply before sending more work
- We will not publish writing or photos that are sexist, racist, classist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist or speciesist
- We are unlikely to be interested in gratuitous sex or violence
- Photos of people or pets are unlikely to be accepted
Our response time can be anywhere up to two months, though you will probably hear from us much sooner. If you haven’t had a reply after six weeks, feel free to send a gentle nudge to check we received your submission.
There is no submission fee. There will never be a submission fee. Financial barriers should not stop people sharing their work and Briefly is proud to be accessible to all.
To cover our costs (website and ads removal; we don’t pay ourselves anything), we invite small donations on our Ko-fi page. We also offer an expedited response with brief feedback for £8 (see below).
For the price of TWO COFFEES, we will reply within THREE DAYS with brief comments on your poems or stories. See more here.
One thought on “CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: Issue 9”